On this episode of WPwatercooler we will be discussing WordCamp SF 2013, the State of the Word address and after parties.
The Hallway Track
State of the Word
State of the Word address by Matt Mullenweg:
- OCWP got a big shout out for their 10th anniversary party.
- WordPress release cycle – updates and plugins will be updated the most
- The release of 3.6 has been postponed
- 3.7 and 3.8 release being so close together will create a lot of problems for people that use it in an enterprise setting
- Matt said the releases will be small updates with less iterations
Video can be found here: State of the Word 2013
Our favorite sessions
Mike Schroeder – WP CLI (command line interface) talk was really excellent. His talk isn’t stagnant. He’s constantly fine tuning it so there is always good, new information.
Helen Hou-Sandi – Customizing the WP Admin interface
Carrie Dills – her talk “Co-opetition” Cooperation, collaboration and competition was great. She highlighted best of competition as well as collaboration.
Josh Broton – on Responsive Design. There were 2 huge takeaways: 1) making photoshop images 2.2x bigger and setting quality to 0 then scaling down in the browser saves a huge amount of work. 2) Text in line? justify for grid layouts, if you text in line justify the parent elements and use display inline block on the child elements, you can have completely justified grid system.
Natalie MacLees – Her room was packed out. She gave her talk in a really compelling story-telling manner.
Mika Epstein – Don’t Use WP Multi-Site. She gave basics of what the watch out for if you want to use WordPress multi-sites.
Ian Stewart – Themes – Super passionate and really inspirational. Do not miss it when it’s on WordPress TV
- The most people that have ever gone to contributor day.
- Steve learned how to commit a patch
- There was a large focus was on the support and documentation team. That’s where Se and Suzette spent their time. They worked on the Theme Developer Handbook. There will be no standardization for theme options.
Shout out to the Dradcast
Activities we did after WordCamp San Francisco 2013
[LISTATTENDEES event_identifier=”ep45-wordcamp-san-francisco-2013-wcsf-recap-wpwatercooler-5-51f589d53223f” show_gravatar=”true”]
Be notified of our upcoming episode via email
We'll send you an email weekly letting you know what topic we discussed that week and what our upcoming topic is.