Social media is here to stay, whether you like it or not. What is the best way to use it on your WordPress powered site and when not to do it. We’ll be talking about how it affects performance and which plugins to use to get the job done.
Keep in mind there is a difference between “Social Media” and a “Social Network”
Defining Social Media: An outlet for social interaction
Blogs (especially with comments)
A WordPress site
Major Social Networks:
Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media:
Make it easy for people to share your post
Have social share buttons on your posts (Jetpack)
Easy to look at and share on a phone
Choosing relevant titles for content you intend to share
Target your audience – Make sure you know who your audience is so you get the most out of your SM push
Don’t or Use your best judgement:
Use affiliate links
Use automatic publishing to push to Facebook
Tools for Integrating Social Media into WordPress:
- Lazy Social Buttons – Plugin When using SM Buttons, your site will have a performance hit. You’re pulling data from SM sites and that’s extra info being pulled into your site. Lazy Social Buttons is a plugin you can use to help speed things up. It uses an image rather than the dynamic content from SM sites. It loads things on the site much faster. The downside is you won’t get the stats you might value from this method.
- Floating Social Bar – Plugin Does the same as the above but allows you to receive the stats.
- Evergreen Post Tweeter – Takes old posts and will send out tweets linking back to your older content. This works best for “evergreen” content
- Tweet Old Post – Does same as above
- Share This – It’s configurable and you choose which SM site you want to post to
- Inline Tweet Sharer
[LISTATTENDEES event_identifier=”ep56-dos-and-donts-of-social-media-integration-with-wordpress-5-52522cdd0e7″ show_gravatar=”true”]
Editor’s Note: Transcriptions of episodes are created with a mix of speech recognition software and human transcribers, and may contain some grammatical errors or slight deviations from the audio.