This week on WPblab we’ll be talking with Russell Aaron about the good and bad of building your WordPress website using only info you find from google searches.
- How to google for answers for WordPress questions
- Googling will get you a lot of different answers, but the benefit is that you’ll learn many ways to accomplish a WordPress task or to answer a WP question
- WordPress.tv – great resource for answers / tutorials
- Google Search Operators (for advanced searching)
- Russell – “Most everything on my blog, I learned from Googling, so Google built my website.”
- Oftentimes when you Google search a WordPress feature, the Codex will be your first result
- WordPress TV YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpJf6LGZ0a4n9Lj4aVt9spg
- As developers, we sometimes forget that not everything is as easy as we think it is
- When Google using error messages remove your domain and file directories from the error message for better results.
- Bridget – “part of our problem is we can be impatient with the learning process”… sometimes we are tempted to think we can go to a single meetup and have all our problems solved
- Russell – the reason I know about “changelogs” is because I googled it … because of all my google searching I’ve learned a lot about how to build my WordPress sites … I didn’t go to college for what I know
- Russell – if you want to learn, read! Start with 1 new article a day, then 2, then 3 … never stop learning – by the end of a month you’ll know a whole lot more than what you started with
- Searching for things and learning how to search for things is a necessary skill
- Russell – good developers know how to ask (and Google!)
- Being specific with your searches can help shorten the time it takes to solve your problem
We crowd sounce our show notes, thank you all for helping us!
- Recording Date