On this weeks episode we will be discussing ways to speed up your WordPress website. This includes plugins that speed it up, explain caching and CDNs, and talk hosting providers that help.
Caching – A way of taking the content and storing it into something more static to that gets pushed out to the internet.
CDN – Content Delivery Network, the way you distribute all of the content be it Java, CSS or images out to a 3rd party that has fast servers.
What are possible causes for a site running slow?
- It’s possible that the issue is with your code and no matter where your site is hosted it will be slow.
- Themes can also be an issue.
- Media in general takes up a lot of bandwidth.
What are some possible solutions to slow running sites?
- Hosting with a company that provides SSD (solid state drive) technology. SSD currently serves data at the fastest speed available. Compare hosts and find one that uses SSD rather than spindle based drives.
- Use P3 Profiler (Plugin Performance Profiler) Use P3 to see which plugins are slowing your sites down. The plugin creates a performance report for the site.
- Use a plugin
- Hosting company
- Cloud Flare
Once you’ve run optimizations, how do you check to see if your site is actually faster?
- WP Engine
- P3 Profiler
- DB Migrate Pro
- CSS Tricks
[LISTATTENDEES event_identifier=”ep49-how-to-speed-up-your-website-wpwatercooler-august-26-2013-5-521a2c1449″ show_gravatar=”true”]