YouTube Embed: No video/playlist ID has been supplied
Today we’re discussing WordCamps with: Lucy Beer, Suzette Franck, Jon Brown, Verious Smith III, Cody Landefeld, Chris Lema, Steve Zehngut, Dre Armeda, Jeff Hester and our host Jason Tucker.
- Meeting people face to face and that awkward moment when you realize you aren’t following someone you just met.
- Networking and social aspects are key for these events.
- Observing knowledge and learning, after attending a few events you tend to pick and choose the talks to want to see.
- Hallway discussions are used more with the seasoned WordCampers.
- Meeting in person makes it feel more like a community then just knowing people online.
- Meetups are great for local networking, WordCamps bring in talented people from all over the country/world.
- Dre speaks about WordCamp San Diego and how he brings in people that make his WordCamp a great event.
- Intensive learning in 1 day is important to Suzette
- Best sessions for Steve Z are the ones with more discussions occurring during the talk then just a presentation.
- Cody L discusses his recent talk at WPLV and how he may team up with someone else to do more of a discussion about UX than a presentation about UX.
- Dre talks about the Sucuri security presentations and how they go about doing their talks at various WordCamps. Lots of interaction.
- Jeff Hester talks about various ways that people do things during their talks and how you can learn more by their live demos
- Everyone asked Jon Brown about his upcoming WordCamp Maui, no date yet but all 10 of use want to go! Lots of logistics to still work out.
- Suzette purchased tickets to BuddyCamp Vancouver
- Question: What is the farthest WordCamp you have attended:
- Cody – Austin, bbq!
- Steve – San Diego
- Lucy – Seattle
- Chris – Toronto
- Question: Where is one that you’d like to attend?
- Jeff Hester – Maui and Paris
- Dre – Australia
- Chris – He’d suffer through going to Maui
- Question: Do you bring your family and kids to WordCamp if it’s in a remote location?
- Dre – He has 30 kids, no way.
- Chris – Travels 30-40% a year, he sometimes takes them but typically local.
- Jason – Wants to take his up to SF next year.
- WordCamp IE?
- WordCamp Fresno?
- Meetup Groups we talked about:
- Orange County WordPress Meetup (OCWP)
- Pasadena WordPress Meetup
- WordPress Wednesday
- Inland Empire WordPress Meetup Group (Coming Soon)
- Southern California WordPress Meetup Group
- Topanga WordPress Meetup Group
- Advanced WordPress San Diego
- Arizona WordPress Group (Chandler, Avondale & Tucson)
- Maui WordPress
- Find a local meetup near you on Meetup.com
- Steve talks about Zeek’s meetup space for OCWP
- Verious is looking for a meetup space for the IE meetup.
- WordCamp Central
- Dre speaks about PressNomics
- Lots of movement and growth in the community
- Interacting on the service level
- Happening in AZ on 11/8, 11/9, 11/10 3 day event, $150 (early bird) or $250 ticket price
- Tickets on sale now
- Read more about PressNomics
WordPress Community Summit
- Tybee Island GA, USA.
- October 29, 2012
- Invitation Only
- Talk about WordCamps and other WordPress related events
- How to influence positive change in the community
- A few people on the panel would love to go to this
- Jon is interested in it and had some points regarding them
- Manuals, Codex
- How to run WordCamp
- Pain points in how code is generated
- No schedule just yet at the time of this recording
- Looking forward to the format of this event
- Chris thinks we need more people with more opinions *jokingly*
- Dre thinks there needs better two way communication between
- Invite only, Lucy thinks that more siloing will occur
- Jon says there was a nomination process to the inviting
- Read more about WordPress Community Summit
Dev Day at WordCamps
- Jon speaks about Dev Day at WordCamp Las Vegas and how much he learned while there
- Dev days and hallway networking is important to Jon
[searchtwitter for=”#wpwatercooler” within=”2012-10-8″]